Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fair Isle and Spud&Chloe

This weekend, we had the pleasure of having Nancy Shroyer teach us about Fair Isle and color. The homework for the Fair Isle class included picking 3 worsted weight colors to create our headbands and get started. After deciding I didn't have what I wanted in my stash, I headed over to Knit Picky to pick something out. I checked out the amazing colors of Cascade 220 that we got in, the Venezia and the rest of the enormous Cascade shipment. Then I picked up a skein of Spud&Chloe. This yard is a blend of 55% Wool and 45% Organic Cotton. It is SO soft and the colors are stunning, so off I went to cast on my homework. The wool and cotton blend is fantastic. It feels as soft as cotton, even my finicky older child likes it, but has the hand of wool when knitting with it. It is like the best of both worlds! I washed and dried it this morning (yes, I have finished the headband) and it washes like a dream.

The class was fascinating. Nancy is extremely knowledgeable about ALL things fair isle. There wasn't a question she couldn't answer. She had me using both hands (hats off to you English style knitters, it's hard!) and I'm already planning on more fair isle projects. I can see how it is so addictive.

Thank you, Jo! The time with Nancy was invaluable and the yarns you carry are yummy!


1 comment:

Flightless said...

I love that fair isle headband! I wish I had the patience to learn how to knit fair isle. I make headbands too, but of a slightly different sort.